- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) add drug coverage to the Original Medicare Plan and some other types of Medicare plans.
- Medicare Advantage Plans (MA-PD) are part of HMOs or PPOs and other Medicare health plans that include prescription drug coverage.
All Medicare drug plans must offer at least the standard level of coverage as the original Medicare. Plans can be flexible in their benefit design and offer different or enhanced benefits. Their benefits and costs may change from year to year.Medicare drug plans will cover generic and brand name drugs. To be covered by Medicare, a drug must be:
- available only by prescription,
- approved by the Food and Drug Administration,
- used and sold in the United States, and
- used for a medically accepted indication.
Also, each Medicare drug plan will have a "formulary" that tells you which drugs are covered by the plan. Plans may require prior authorizations, step therapy and quantity limits.There are three steps that CLAIM recommends you take to help you choose the Medicare drug plan that is right for you:
- collect information about your current prescription drug coverage and needs. Include information about any prescription drug coverage you currently have as well as a list of the prescription drugs you currently take, the dosages and how often you take them;
- compare the plans—check for plans that cover the prescriptions you take and that use the pharmacies you prefer;
- select the plan you want and contact the plan with any questions you may have.
Comparing plans is often the most difficult part of signing up for Medicare Part D. If you need help, do not hesitate to call CLAIM. A certified volunteer can help.
The list below contains the highest rated Medicare Part D prescription drug plans in the state of Missouri. It is for informational purposes only and some listings may be inaccurate or missing. The list was provided by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), but due to the variance in plans based on county, city, and region, some options may not be available in your location.