In 2006 Medicare began offering a prescription drug benefit. Most beneficiaries will be eligible to purchase the prescription drug benefit and enrollment is voluntary. However, your personal situation will determine whether it would be in your best interest to purchase this benefit. You will be able to choose from at least two Medicare Prescription plans to obtain your prescription benefits. Several different companies will offer this benefit.
So speak to an educated and trained APPRISE counselor to determine your options and make an informed decision about prescription drug coverage. APPRISE counselors can:
- Explain the details of this benefit and your options if you already have prescription drug coverage
- Determine if you are eligible for this benefit.
- Inform you of the dates for the enrollment periods and how to avoid a higher monthly premium if you do not sign up for this benefit now but opt to later.
- Help you to compare prescription benefit plans.
- Assist you in enrolling for this benefit.
- Assist you in determining if you are eligible for financial help to pay for this benefit.
- Provide assistance with prescription drug programs and prescription plans in your area.
Here’s the AARP’s rating of Part D plans available in Pennsylvania: http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/health/pdf/PA_medicare_consumer.pdf.
Important Considerations when you’re considering Part D plans:
- Before enrolling in a plan, you should check with the drug plan to make sure it covers the drugs you use.
- Remember your actual costs will vary based on the specific drugs you take and the plan you choose.
- Be sure to check with the plan to see whether its preferred pharmacies are convenient to you.
The list below contains the highest rated Medicare Part D prescription drug plans in the state of Pennsylvania. It is for informational purposes only and some listings may be inaccurate or missing. The list was provided by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), but due to the variance in plans based on county, city, and region, some options may not be available in your location.